The American Geophysical Union (AGU) is an international nonprofit scientific association with 60,000 members in 137 countries.
Our organization was established in 1919 by the National Research Council and operated as an unincorporated affiliate of the National Academy of Sciences for more than 50 years. We were independently incorporated in 1972.
Our existing headquarters building was built in 1994, and in 2017 we undertook a major renovation of that building with the goal of living out our mission and becoming DC’s first net zero energy commercial renovation. Learn about AGU’s building renovation project.